Re: AMD 64 CPU Chip Selection Question

Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2006 11:01 schrieb Jo Shields:
> Bool wrote:
> > On an ASUS A8N-VM (NVidia NForce 410 with GForce 6100),
> > I have to use 2.6.14 kernel to have network working.

So everything's working now (apart from NCQ I guess)? That's good news, as the
chipset still is very new. The CSM variant is a very decent buy as it even
sports DVI which makes it possible to have very cheap passively cooled
dual-DVI setups!

I needed to upgrade to the same kernel version to have sound in my a lot older
Xpc ST20G5 which utilizes an ULi southbridge with Azalia sound. But the sound
is still messy, so I'll try 2.6.15 soon, we'll see...

> That's common to most nForce4 variants - though 2.6.12 can usually be
> persuaded to work, with some tweaking. nForce4 isn't a good bet for
> linux systems - none of the "extra features" it has over K8T890 work
> (the 'hardware firewall' and so on are windows driver-based jobs), so
> all it ends up being is more expensive.
>
> Unless you really *need* the low-end onboard graphics, I suppose.

I wouldn't call an NF6150 "low-end" exactly. What VIA and SIS integrate is
low-end for sure, but with NF6150 you can even play games if you don't need
to play them in 1280x1024 FSAA with all the spanking newest DX9+ features
(which isn't available on Linux anyways ;).

2ct