Re: How big will the 32-bit chroot end up being? What goes in these days?

Hi; thanks for your reply.  No need to cc me; I read the list.

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:34:13AM +0000, cmetzler@speakeasy.net wrote:
>> So, as I understand it, the following stuff would need to go into the
>> 32-bit chroot (assuming one wants/needs these things):
>>
>> - Sun's J2RE
>
> There is 64bit java as far as I know.  Not sure about browser plugins.

Heh.  I had assumed that Sun didn't have an AMD64 version out; but
I just went and looked, and there it is.  Thanks for the tip.

>> - cdrecord/cdrdao plus whatever front end you're using to call them
>
> No reason.  Those work fine on amd64.

Thanks.  As I mentioned in other replies, I'd read on a few pages
that cdrdao had significant bugs under AMD64, that a patch existed
to fix those bugs, but that the Sarge and Etch versions hadn't yet
been patched.  Presumably, re: Etch, that info is just out of date?

>> How much space would all that take?  Assuming one were to put the chroot
>> in its own partition, how much space should be allocated to that partition?
>> If you're using an AMD64 desktop, how much space are you using in the
>> chroot?
>
> chroot can just be a directory.  No need for a partition.  Sure is
> simpler.

Yeah; but then the question becomes where to put it (i.e. in what
existing partition to include it).  The HOWTO suggests /var; but
/var on this box could fluctuate strongly in disk space used.  I
want to avoid any issues if /var fills up.

And at any rate, even if I do just put it in a subdir rather than
its own full-fledged partition, I still need a vague idea of how much
space the stuff in the chroot will take up, so that I can allocate
enough space to the larger partition (that the chroot subdir will end
up a part of) for both the chroot and its other contents.

Cheers,

-c