chroot has changed my 32b sarge system: X no longer works

I have  a complete 32b sarge system on a separate partition.  I seldom
use it, but keep it as a backup in case my amd64 sid system has
problems.  Although I've had problems using dchroot into this system
occasionally, now it is working fine.  Today I tried to boot into this
Sarge system directly, and found that I cannot start X as a regular
user, although I can start X when I login as root.  This is unusual,
because usually I have no problem starting X as a normal user when
booted into 32b sarge.  I looked at the logs in /var/log/XFree86.log,
and they are basically identical when I startx as root and when I fail
to start x as me.  The only error message I see on the screen when I
can't get X to start is something like "warning: Font renderer for
".pcf" already registered at priority 0 (I see several lines similar
to that).

I have no memory of what I might have done while setting up chroot and
dchroot to break X on 32b.  I do know that occasionally dchroot would
stop working.  At one point I recall having to chroot into my 32b user
account and "export DISPLAY=:0".  I do not know if that is what now
prevents me from starting x when booting into 32b sarge.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Ric