Re: Questions about the nvidia packages.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> 3) About the same as 1) (-> patches): Whats the Debian-way of creating
> external (not from the vanilla sources) modules? Is there some good
> document or so (for the whole Debian-way in kernel/patches/modules
> matters?).

See URL above.

> 4) Last but not least:
> My graphic card requires one of the newer drivers from nvidia (it does
> not work correctly with the 7147). Why are the packages for newer
> versions in i386 but not amd64?

Randall Donald is the DD who maintains all the nvidia packages. He also
maintains a web page with news about his work @
http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/

An unofficial package repository is also provided, which you can access
by adding the following to your source.list:

deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable/amd64/
deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable/all/

One you have the nvidia-kernel-source package installed, it's just a
case of:

make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot --append-to-version=xxx
--added-modules=nvidia-kernel modules_image

This results in the creation of a nvidia-kernel*.deb image, which you
can install with dpkg. Note that the nvidia-glx package will _not_
install until after nvidia-kernel.

I'm running a 2.6.15 kernel with the latest .8178 nvidia drivers here,
and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever.

HTH

--
Adam James <ad@heliosphan.co.uk>

PROOF OF GOD'S EXISTENCE #313:
ARGUMENT FROM WHEAT
(1) A grain of wheat will always fall to the ground and the outer shell
dies.
(2) But see, eventually the grain will grow into a fuller, more vital
form.
(3) Hey, that's kinda like the Resurrection!
(4) Therefore, God Exists.