Trouble burning DVD

I am having zero luck burning DVDs (stupid system backups!) on my AMD 64 system

wolfe:~# cdrecord -scanbus | egrep -v ".\*$"
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2005 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) '' '' '' Disk
scsibus4:
        4,0,0   400) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4120B' 'A102' Removable CD-ROM
scsibus5:
        5,0,0   500) 'SAMSUNG ' 'MP0402H         ' '' Disk
wolfe:~#

That's a bit confusing output; I have 3 relevant drives:
 - ATAPI LG CD-RW, which appears to be the one on scsi bus 2
 - ATAPI Pioneer DVD+RW, which seems to be the one on scsi bus 4
 - ATAPI LG DVD+RW, hooked up externally, via FireWire, apparently on bus 5.

Either #4 or #5 otta work...

Another referencing is thus...  sr0 seems to be the external LG DVD
drive; hdd looks like the internal Pioneer DVD, hdc is the LG CD-RW

wolfe:/lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-k8# cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name:             sr0     hdd     hdc
drive speed:            78      47      40
drive # of slots:       1       1       1
Can close tray:         1       1       1
Can open tray:          1       1       1
Can lock tray:          1       1       1
Can change speed:       1       1       1
Can select disk:        0       0       0
Can read multisession:  1       1       1
Can read MCN:           1       1       1
Reports media changed:  1       1       1
Can play audio:         1       1       1
Can write CD-R:         1       1       1
Can write CD-RW:        1       1       1
Can read DVD:           1       1       0
Can write DVD-R:        1       1       0
Can write DVD-RAM:      1       0       0
Can read MRW:           1       1       1
Can write MRW:          1       1       1
Can write RAM:          1       1       1

I try writing a backup to the Pioneer drive:

wolfe:/proc/ide# cdrecord  -v dev=ATAPI:4,0,0 speed=4
/brownes/knuth/compiles/backups/cbhome.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2005 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: 'ATAPI:4,0,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 4 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
cdrecord: ERROR: unknow subsystem (scd0) in (/dev/sr0)
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
cdrecord: Asked for SCSI I/O buffer size 64512 bytes, could only get 20480.
atapi: -1
cdrecord: Cannot do inquiry for CD/DVD-Recorder.
cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: fatal error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

I get the same message whichever I use, ATAPI:2,0,0, ATAPI:4,0,0, or
ATAPI:5:0,0.

The "proprietary" version of cdrecord is obviously no option as it is
available binary only, and AM64 is not one of the platforms for which
binaries exist.

What we usually use at work to burn DVDs is "dvdrecord," which is
apparently somewhat deprecated.  I downloaded the sources for that; it
reports exactly the same problem.

A search for the message: "ERROR: unknow subsystem (scd0) in
(/dev/sr0)" shows that people have run into this; I have not yet seen
any actual answers.

I have modules sr_mod, cdrom, ide_cd, and sg loaded; that ought to
cover the kernel side, I'd think...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)