Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

* Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> [2005-12-18 23:24]:
> On 12/18/05, lordSauron <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/18/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was able to install Ubuntu and the newly burnt Debian CD
>>> [...]
>>
>> noooooooooo!!!  another one lost to Gnome!  I really hope you
>> meant Kubuntu, since KDE is really much nicer than Gnome for
>> people who need to get something done

Let's not have a religious war.  Everyone knows that every WM /
DE / editor / MUA etc. that isn't my personal favourite sucks. ;)

>> So it was hardware problems...  curious.  Really, installation
>> is one of, if the the, hardest part to debug because of the
>> fact that it can be really anything.  For the most part, I
>> think installers, while loads better than nothing, do need to
>> expand their driver database (while installing Debian on my
>> laptop, if I closed the lid the whole thing totally froze!)
>
> HATED ubuntu!!! no root password, too much gui, where is the
> shell? yuck

Seriously, it's fine.  Do an 'expert' install rather than the
standard install and root / normal user is setup normally.  Do a
'server-expert' install and you get no GNOME or X.  If you avoid
the hand-holding Ubuntu does, it's close enough to Debian not to
notice most of the time.

Anyway, I suggest you try this unofficial Sarge install CD which
uses the 2.6.12 kernel: http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/
Ubuntu uses 2.6.12 too, and you know that works - maybe your
hardware just wants a slightly more modern kernel to install
successfully.

Andrew Preater