Re: Opening file at boot time ( read only)

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:19:10PM +0000, frank smith wrote:
> It dumps me at the prompt ( ctl + D plus root pword)
> When I try Vi the file it's read only even though I use the Root Pword.
> How do I access and change fstab with Vi (commands helpful as me and Vi
> dont play well!)
First: try to type:
mount -o remount,rw /
then run vi and edit your file.
Some useful commands: hjkl to move cursor (if arrows wouldn't work),
i to start typing, end typing with <Esc> key, dd to delete a line,
x is Delete and X is backspace.
To save and quit type:
:wq<Enter>
(the leading colon is important).
After you quit vim run
sync.
They say that you should run it twice :)
Then try to umount -va
and reboot your box.

Good luck!

	Artur
--
<Yyyyyyyyy> Xxxxxxxxx potrzebuje kobiety - płeć i gatunek nie grają roli.
				/z irca, nicki ukryte by chronić niewinnych/