(follow) Re: How to make apps play nice?

Re,

Oh and i forgot something much simpler.
If you have multiple disks, just put your system on one, and the files you regularly tranfer on another. That way, you can have one harddrive beinbg 100% used without impacting on your video. Btw, if you hate find (hey... except if you use your computer while watching movies, there's no reason for find to run while you're wathcing a video, except the cron, and, ... well, it runs like, at 6am ? ;) ) you can tell the cronjob not to go to some locations... like to your second harddrive :)

see /etc/updatedb.conf for that

Craig Hagerman wrote:
I'm running Debian amd64 on an Asus board with an AMD64 3200+ and a gig of ram.

This box is mainly used as a home media center and file server. Most
of the time the system monitor shows that CPU usage is around 23% and
ram usage between 40% and 80%. But for some reason when I copy files
(cp or scp network copying) it seems to take over - CPU usage shoots
up to 100% and everything else starts stuttering. Same thing also
happens with running find command or other programs. If I am listening
to music it starts skipping, if I am watching video, it basically
stops. Why is this? I know I can use 'nice' to change the niceness of
a program, but I want to know how to alter settings so that things
like cp, scp, find, etc do not hog up the entire CPU all the time, not
just on a case-by-case basis.

Craig

--
Jean-Christophe Montigny
Etudiant de troisième année à Grenoble Ecole de Management