Re: Sarge NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.

On Wednesday 14 Dec 2005 07:11, Siju George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dual processor amd64 server with 2 AMD Opterons.
>
> Installed on it is Sarge
>
> Linux  2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 # x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Both the processors are detected but one is ignored as said in the boot
> dmesg.
>
> ----------
> Processor #0 15:5 APIC version 16
> ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x01] enabled)
> Processor #1 15:5 APIC version 16
> WARNING: NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.
>------------------------
>
> How do I change the NR_CPUS limit to 2? ( if that helps)

It sounds to me as though you just need to recompile your kernel.  Don't
panic!  This really isn't as big a deal as some people like to make it out to
be.

First
# apt-get install kernel-package
then download a kernel source from kernel.org and unpack it under /usr/src.
Cd to the directory where the kernel source unpacked itself.
# cp /boot/.config .
# make oldconfig
This may ask a few questions, it's safe to accept the defaults.
# make menuconfig
{if this fails, try
# apt-get install libncurses5-dev
which menuconfig seems to require}
Be sure to enable SMP.  At this stage, you can also disable drivers for any
hardware you know you have not got and are not going to get this side of your
next kernel recompile.  But don't worry too much about this; if you have an
AMD64 system, then the performance penalty from unnecessary drivers is much
less important than if you're trying to get a system running on a 486SX25
with 8MB RAM.
# make-kpkg kernel_image
Cd to the parent directory and you will find a .deb file with the kernel you
just compiled.  Use dpkg -i *deb to install it.  Run /sbin/lilo one more time
just to make sure.  It will say something like "Added Linux, Added LinuxOLD".

If your system hangs during booting, do not panic.  Make a note of the last
message, which will be important for determining what went wrong.  Switch off
and on again, but press and hold down the left SHIFT key as soon as you get
past the keyboard test and before you get to "LILO Loading Linux".   You will
be presented with a menu.  Let go of SHIFT, select "LinuxOLD" and you should
boot into your previous kernel.  You can then fix whatever went wrong and try
again.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk