Re: installing a debian source ISO

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:19:03PM +0000, Adam Stiles wrote:
> Good on you for installing from source; but I will warn you in advance, it is
> not as easy as installing "click and go" spyware-infested applications under
> Windows!  OTOH, there is something undefinable yet deeply satisfying about
> knowing you built it all yourself from source code .....  just like the way
> vegetables from a supermarket never taste as good as the ones you grew on
> your own allotment, or other people's babies are never as pretty as yours.

Personally I don't consider it good, I consider it silly. :)

[snip]
> I don't doubt that somebody will have created a boot CD with a working build
> environment that can be used for bootstrapping Debian from sources.

But you will get the same result building the source packages yourself.
If you don't it is a serious bug.  So really what would be the point
(given I don't believe there is a point to any source based
distribution).  If you want a source distribution, try looking at the
original debian releases (1.x releases).  We don't want to go back to
that kind of install again. :)