Recovery options

I'm currently running an Athlon64 machine with IA32 and AMD64 Debian Sid
installs, using a shared /home partition, all on LVM2.

The latest upgrade to initramfs-tools (I think) broke booting from LVM
on the AMD64 side.  I would like to revert to the older version, but I
don't have any means of running programs on that partition.

There used to be -amd64 kernels in the Debian IA32 repository, but I
can't find one any more recent than 2.6.8, which doesn't work with the
latest udev and initramfs-tools.

Alternatively, I could use a livecd of some kind, but all of the AMD64
versions I've found are marked "highly experimental."  So, does anyone
have a good recommendation for one?  It really only needs to be powerful
enough to chroot into my system and run mkinitramfs (eg, must user
kernel 2.6.12+).

Thanks,
-Jonathan