Re: sound-driver

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:57:49PM +0100, Rob van Kraanen wrote:
> Hi i have a Asus a7d laptop.
> After some searching i found i have a dound-driver with a acore chipset, at
> least thats what i think.
> I'm a newby as it comes to compiling drivers, but i got no errors and even in
> mij config i can see a device: "Midi through Midi Through Port-0 ALSE device"
> But i hear nothing, anyone can help me?

Midi is for musical instrument connections.  It is not for playing sound
on your computer.  That would be done by the wave support part of the
card instead.

Of course given it is an ati chipset laptop, it is probably going to
take a while to get proper support for the system under linux.  In
general, ati chips are just not well supported.

I would expect the driver to use, if any work yet, would be snd-atiixp
alsa driver.  The newer the kernel the better the chance of it working
is.  Try adding that to /etc/modules, so that it loads early in the boot
process.  alsamixer should work for unmuting master and wave and turning
up the volumes if it detects the chip.