Re: junk showing up in /emul/ia32-linux

Larry Doolittle <ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov> writes:

> Friends -
>
> I have a really nice amd64 sid machine, which has run
> solidly for over a year now.  I really appreciate all
> the really hard work behind the scenes that keeps Debian
> unique and useful.
>
> I have never run a 32-bit binary on this computer, and
> don't see any reason to ... ever.  If it's not built from
> published, 64-bit clean source code, it doesn't belong on
> my computer.
>
> Recently files have started showing up in /emul/ia32-linux.
> Offending packages are libg2c0-dev, fakeroot, and
> libgfortran0-dev.  I tried submitting bug reports for
> the first two: #341786 and #341788.  The latter got
> merged with the inverse bug (amd64 junk showing up on
> i386 machines), #323285, and tagged "minor" and "wontfix".
>
> Shall I rm -rf /emul after every apt-get upgrade?
> Shouldn't there be a way to separate out compatibility
> cruft, either at the package or installer level?
>
>          - Larry

libg2c0-dev and libgfortran0-dev need stuff in /emul to be able to
compile 32bit code. Splitting those few K of libs out into seperate
debs just so your /emul stays empty is probably more work and waste
then saved.

fakeroot absolutely needs the 32bit wraper libs so packages with 32bit
code still compile. Or do you want to give up lilo and grub and be
unable to boot in the future? Again, splitting the few K out into a
fakeroot32 is just unreasonable.

If you realy don't want the stuff use dpkg-divert to tell dpkg to
ignore those files.

MfG
        Goswin