Re: restore systeme.

On 12/5/05, koham zaku <kohzak@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all.

I'm looking for a way to save my system and to restore it if any
problem. Like a ghost.

I've found Ghost for Linux (g4l) but seems not to be in debian-amd64
repository.

Does any one can give my a way to backup and restore my system ?

Hi,

this is from my own notes at http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_debian/ar01s10.html#d0e1685, and everything with built-in commands ;-)

Partitions can be archived with

# dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -9 - - > backup.img.gz

or, if the data is not well compressable anymore, simply by

# dd if=/dev/hda1 of=backup.img

If you want to create CD images you can split the output with

# dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -9 -c | split -b 600m - /mnt/hdb7/backup.img.gz

To compare backup and original:

# cat /mnt/hdb7/backup.img.gz* | gzip -d | cmp - /dev/hda1

To restore the images:

# cat /mnt/hdb7/backup.img.gz* | gzip -d | dd of=/dev/hda1

The uncmpressed image can be mounted with

# mount -o loop=/dev/loop0 backup.img /mnt

By doing so it is possible to access single files or directories without restoring the whole image.

For imaging a NTFS partition:

# ntfsclone --save-image --output ntfs-backup.img /dev/hda1

If you want to clone an image from one PC to another via the network you can use netcat. The whole command chain would look like:

For the destination PC:

# netcat -l -p 9000 | ntfsclone --restore-image --overwrite /dev/hda1

For the source PC:

# ntfsclone --save-image --output - /dev/hda1 | netcat 192.18.0.11 9000

For a bootable partition the master boot record must be recoverd by install-mbr /dev/hda (or fixmbr fom the Windows recovery console). In addition, for a Windows partition you must run a 'repair installation'.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn