Re: why is amd64 still separate?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 07:31:20PM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>
>>Any news about this?
>>
>>I am pretty concerned that amd64 won't make it for Etch,
>>either. With Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Gentoo and whatever officially
>>supporting amd64 for several months or even years, Debian is
>>loosing ground here.
>

> I believe the current schedule is for a release sometime in 2007 for
> Etch.  There is still time. :)

Sorry to say, but I doubt this. Sarge was released 6 months
ago, and amd64 is still an officially unsupported platform.
The "visible change" is missing.

If people talk about Linux on amd64 today, then they think
Ubuntu, RedHat, Suse, Gentoo, but not Debian.

Debian's big strength (one of it) is the support for many
different platforms with a common set of functionality. But
the 2nd or 3rd largest platform is missing today. And surely
amd64 will become _much_ more important in the next 6 months.

Regards

Harri