Re: changed ownership of / by mistake...

Craig Hagerman wrote:

Thanks for the replies Gilles and Cameron. I tried the suggestion to do

apt-get --reinstall -u install

and it does seem to have gotten things back ALMOST to where they
should be. still a couple of obvious problems. I have no sound for
some reason. I checked and things like /dev/audio0 ARE correct
(root:audio) now. I get an errror message when I try to open the
volume control and volume is greyed out on something like totem. Not
really sure what might still be wrong to prevent audio from
working....
Ok, the device file has correct ownership.
Ownership of "/dev" and "/" is ok too?
How about the sounddriver module, probably in
/lib/modules/... somewhere?  Or the module loader,
/sbin/insmod or modprobe?

Use the "find" command to find files owned by craig outside of /home.
Then change them or reinstall the package.  Don't forget
directories not supposed to be owned by craig.

If "chown root:root *" fails, try "chown 0:0 *".   Looking up
names like "root" may very well fail on a hosed system,
numbers tend to work.  And root always has UID 0.

Make sure any suid binaries in /bin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/bin are all owned by root.
If they're owned by craig then they will switch uid to craig
when run, loose their privileges and then fail. . .

The second thing I have noticed is that the terminal doesn't work. I
CAN open up the terminal (gui), but there is an error message saying
"cannon open child process", and the terminal itself is unusable.
There is no prompt and I can't actually type anything in it. (Still
going in by ssh from a remote machine.)

Ownership of the xterm/gterm/kterm/rxvt binary is ok?
Check ownerships in /dev - nothing should be owned by craig, but
not all stuff is supposed to be owned by root:root either.  Consider
recreating /dev using makedev.

Any ideas on these anyone?

By the way Cameron, I did try knoppix, but since it is only a 32 bit
OS I can't chroot into my existing filesystem.
No need to chroot.  Just mount the fs under /mnt, then go into /mnt
and use chown to set ownership correctly.  Then umount the fs and reboot.

Helge Hafting