Re: Acer Turion laptops

On 8/18/05, Theodore Kisner <kisner@physics.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Are you sure the button doesn't work?  On my compaq R3000 (athlon64) laptop,
> the button behaves differently with the 32bit windows driver and the 64bit
> one.  In 32bit debian with the 32bit windows driver under ndiswrapper,
> enabling the button turns on the wifi indicator light which then glows solid.
> With 64bit debian and the 64bit driver, pressing the button *does* change the
> state of the radio, but the indicator does not turn on.  When there is
> network traffic, the light flickers indicating traffic on the connection.
>
> So basically if I can't find the network, I push the button and try again.
> Actually I usually just leave it enabled anyway.  Another thing you could try
> is to boot into windows, enable the radio, and then reboot into linux and see
> if that works...

I have tried both things, but the radio is always turned off; when I
press the button that should turn it on I get this in syslog:

 Aug 21 12:26:14 aquila kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed
(translated set 2, code 0xd6 on isa0060/serio0).
Aug 21 12:26:14 aquila kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e056
<keycode>' to make it known.
Aug 21 12:26:15 aquila kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released
(translated set 2, code 0xd6 on isa0060/serio0).
Aug 21 12:26:15 aquila kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e056
<keycode>' to make it known.

So the kernel doesn't recognize the button.
Bye.