Re: unable to upgrade packages via apt-get

Monty <monty-amd64@bc.cx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> For the past while I have been experiencing problems with my apt-get command
> and I was wondering if anyone might be able to  help me with my
> difficulties.
>
> The problem is that my apt-get will not seam to update/upgrade any of my
> packages even though I know there are new packages available by looking in
> /var/lib/dpkg/available.
>
> As an example, I currently have lynx V2.8.5REL1  installed but my
> /var/lib/dpkg/available file indicates that the latest package is Lynx
> V2.8.5-2.  When I execute: apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade I get:

mrvn@frosties:~% apt-cache policy lynx
lynx:
  Installed: 2.8.5-2
  Candidate: 2.8.5-2
  Version table:
 *** 2.8.5-2 0
        500 copy: sarge/main Packages
        500 http://amd64.debian.net sarge/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Sarge indeed does have 2.8.5-2 as latest version but that isn't even
the problem:

$ dpkg --compare-versions "2.8.5-2" "<<" "2.8.5REL1" && echo yes
yes

Your local version of lynx is newer than the latest version in
sarge. Installing the sarge version would be downgrading.

> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
>
> This seams to be the standard response from the apt-get command as it does
> this for other packages as well.  In fact it has been a couple of months
> since any packages have updated/upgraded.
>
> My sources.list is as follows:  (I have tried the Bytekeeper mirror in
> Belgium as well with identical results)
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.de/debian-amd64/debian-amd64 sarge contrib main non-free
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.de/debian-amd64/debian-amd64 sarge contrib main non-free

That seems to work fine.

$ bzcat Packages.bz2 | grep-dctrl -X -P lynx
Package: lynx

> When I run: apt-get update it does return information about hitting kmy
> sources  so I believe that is working.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>    Monty

Try creating the following

mrvn@frosties:~% cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian-amd64,a=stable,v=3.1r0
Pin-Priority: 1001

and then 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade' to downgrade back to
sarge.

MfG
        Goswin