Sound and a chroot

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem getting sound to work correctly from / with my
chroot.

I fancied listening to the radio the other but the station I wanted to listen
to only broadcasts in Real media. Taking the holy water in one hand and a
cross in the other I installed real player 10 in the chroot.

I have got it working just fine and can listen to the radio except that real
player take exclusive control of the sound card. I've met this problem before
so I tried running real player through artsdsp (I'm using KDE) but to no
avail - exactly the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas? What would be really helpful is a page / site about the
Linux sound system(s). I am perpetually confused about how they all hang
together and they seem to be about the most fragile part of all my Debian
systems.

Many thanks,

Graham