Re: dependency problems base-files, libc6

"." <listrcv@condor-werke.com> writes:

> David Wood schrieb:
>> Version numbering for base-files and libc6 was changed. You need to
>> force yourself out of the .pure64 versions. This is covered on the
>> mailing list in the past but... documented anywhere else yet? Not sure.
>>
>> i.e.
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/04/msg00242.html
>>
>> Although now I'd say ds1-21 instead of 20, obviously...
>
> TXH! But what sources.list should I use? I was using pure64, but it
> wasn´t possible to do an update with that, so I came up to the following:
>

> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-amd64 stable main
> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-amd64 stable contrib
> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-amd64 stable non-free
>
> deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64 stable main
> deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64 stable contrib
> deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64 stable non-free

Both are the same system. It is just another dns name. Also /debian is
preferable to /debian-amd64. The later is for mirrors that already
have /debian.

> deb http://debian.inode.at/debian-amd64/debian stable main
> deb http://debian.inode.at/debian-amd64/debian stable contrib

If you are in .at put this first so it gets prefered. Also, after
upgrading, you can just run apt-setup with the extra bonus of getting
a commented out security entry.

> And trying to fix:
>
> prometheus:/home/hwilmer# apt-get --simulate install libc6=2.3.2.ds1-21
> locales=2.3.2.ds1-21 base-files=3.1.2
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Version '2.3.2.ds1-21' for 'libc6' was not found

Use the versions from

apt-cache policy libc6 base-files

> But I must not mess it up, it´s a production server ...

Keep a second root shell at hand. If you mess up the /lib64 -> /lib
link will disapear and nothing will work anymore. You won't be able to
login or run any binary (the normal way) then. To recreate the link
you have to run

/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /bin/ln -s lib /lib64

But that's about the only danger. And easily fixed if known.

MfG
        Goswin