Re: gcc version issue trying to install vmware5

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk> writes:

>>>No you don't. You should set CC.
>>
>>I did that to start with (kept it that way), but the vmware compile
>>didn't like that, a very good error msg told me to change the s-link, so
>>I did.  It then worked.
>>
>>Setting env CC probably works for most things.
>

> Changing the link breaks your debian system.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this.  What specifically is broken about the
system if gcc -> gcc-3.4?  My system has been setup this way for over 2
months and there haven't been any adverse side-effects that I'm aware of.

I tried updating it using alternatives, but seemed to lose the preference
everytime I did an apt-get upgrade, I'm pretty certain this is because the
"gcc" package insists that gcc -> gcc-3.3.

I'd much prefer to set an environment variable as well, but it's going to
require a deeper understanding of the module compilation subsystem of the
2.6 kernel.  Both CC and HOSTCC seem to be ignored.