Re: Pine

On Thursday 09 June 2005 00:33, Jose Luis Iguain wrote:
> Could anybody tell me how to install Pine on a AMD64 platform?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> JL

Ah, Pine.  The one where the source is too open for its own good.

The Pine licence insists for you to distribute modified versions in source
code form only, which I personally don't have a problem with.  And I don't
see why there can't be a .deb package which contains the source code and
patches, depends on the compiler and toolchain  {who doesn't have the
compiler on their system anyway?  I mean this is Debian, right?  We are
hardcore!},  and the installation script actually performs the compilation a
la G***oo.  For most users, it would look and work just like a binary package
installation; though perhaps a little slower.

Anyway, you just need to download the Pine source package {which obviously is
good for all architectures}  from your favourite non-free mirror; then use
dpkg to build it.

--
AJS