Re: XFS worth it?

Brian D. Winters <brianw-debian@pteranodon.org> writes:

> Having defended the design choice to death, I will say that find it
> really annoying that the file exists and is of non-trivial length,
> just full of zeros.  That's a harder condition to detect than
> presence/absence of the file, or the presence of a zero-length file.

The zeroing-out is really annoying.  I've used XFS on ppc64 for a
while but switched back to ext3 after losing /var/lib/dpkg/status and
large parts of /usr/lib after a kernel crash.

ext3 with data=journal or data=ordered handles crashes much more
gracefully.  (data=writeback would be the XFS equivalent mode, except
for the zero-out part)

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://blog.blackdown.de/