Re: Installer and installed system differ in disk enumeration

On Apr 10, 2005 10:28 AM, A.E.Lawrence <A.E.Lawrence@lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> Presumably the installer kernal and target kernels load modules in a
> different order.

I wonder it is possible to load them in the same order? The installer
may load the kernel modules triggered by the udev-packages, whereas
the target system loads them in initrd based on /etc/modules. Editing
/etc/modules by hand is certainly worth a try.

> Once alerted to these problems, I could find no easy way to modify these
> values from a shell on an alternative terminal (alt-f2) in the installer.
> I could not find a /dev/.. entry on which to mount the target root
> filesystem.

The installer uses devfs, which means that the device nodes may not be
in the usual places. They should be in subdirectories of /dev such as
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/disc. In theory, that has to change
soon, since Linus announced his intention to remove devfs... but I
wouldn't hold my breath.

> With such a large number of discs, it is very easy to become confused
> bewteen discs and partitions. Suggestion: the partition labels should
> be displayed where present. (I didn't find e2label in an installer shell).

I agree, and I would like to see labels used instead of device names.
Unfortunately there are a lot of places where this leads to trouble
(swap, some filesystems, lilo etc). But you can give it a try, in most
cases it should work.

If e2label is not included on the install system, you can try to mount
the target system, and use e2label from there. You probably have to
chroot and mount at least proc, but it should work.

Thomas