vmware in 64 bit enviroment

Hi,
Vmware runs on a chroot.  But I want 64bit capability.  Some time ago I
bought vmware 4.52 and according to their w-site it will run on amd64.
So I tried to install.  All is ok until just after the header files bit.
Then it fails to build vmmon.o.  I have tried to get a precompiled
module to put into my running kernel.  No success.
Can anyone help?
The reason for wanting it running oon 64 bit is: I have a demanding win
app that I need to run.  The alternative is buy the pgf compiler.  I
don;t want to.
Thanks
Gavin.