Re: # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

Tobias Krais schrieb:
I'm a kernel dummy, so I ask myself what the advantage von PREMPT is, so that I should use it?

PREEMPT enables the preemptible kernel, which means you can interrupt processes executing system calls in kernel mode, except when they are accessing stuff protected by a spin lock (and is modifying a global data structure - to avoid data corruption).

It lowers the average latency when reacting to interrupts. Problem is, there seem to be some execution paths in the kernel that are pretty long. The low-latency-kernel teams tries to fix this.

I personally observe that my Linux is much more responsive when displaying videos with preempt on.

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla