Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:32:15PM +0100, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> Yeah, but slower??

Well at least very similar speeds seem not too unreasonable.  I am not
sure if the 64bit pointers would hurt the performance of gcc in any way.
It does have to move more bytes around than a 32bit machine.  it is
certainly faster at many tasks.

> I already do -j 3.

I wonder if 3 is overkill.

> >Well what does hdparm -t /dev/sda say your disk speed is able to do?
> >What kind of HD and what size?
>
> 250GB Seagate SATA.
>
> # hdparm -v /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>  geometry     = 30401/255/63, sectors = 250059350016, start = 0

That doesn't say much interesting for sata drives.  -t would have been
more interesting.

As far as I know sata drivers always run with dma on, but I may be
wrong.