Re: Segmentation fault - grub 0.95+cvs20040624

On (13/03/05 05:38), Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei] wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm having some trouble with grub.  Briefly, when I installed orginally,
> > I installed a 32 bit sarge system first and then the amd64 system, which
> > has been working fine. For the sake of clarity we'll call this
> > 64bit install 'production' I decided to use the 32bit sarge space to do a
> > fresh amd64 system ('test') and I stupidly let the installer install grub.  Well
> > apart from having to mount and edit the 'production' fstab, I managed to
> > get back into my production system.
> >
> > But I've tried both grub-install and the grub command line interface:
> > grub> root (hd0,7)
> > grub> setup (hd0)
> > setup (hd0)
> >  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
> >  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
> >  Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
> >  Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
> > succeeded
> > Segmentation fault
> >
> > When I try to boot, I get:
> >
> > GRUB 1.5 (I think from memory)
> >
> > and then nothing ;(
> >
> > So it would appear that neither method is installing grub on the mbr
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy on this machine and so I have to
> > repeat the 'test' install to get grub installed to the master boot
> > record.  So the installer is successfully installing grub on the mbr.
> >
> > I've tried this a number of times but not making headway but before
> > filing a bug report, I thought I'd check here first.
> >

> This is a known bug of grub, i had it 2 weeks ago. You won't be able
> to install it by hand. I think it is a conflict with something in the
> kernel as it only hapens with some versions of the kernel. For
> example, with an "old" 2.6.6 grub works fine installing in the mbr,
> but not for newer kernels like 2.6.8 or 2.6.10. You can download DFS
> live-cd and try to install grub chrooting to you debian 64
> installation. I thing DFS can boot with an amd64 ready 2.6.4 o 2.6.6
> kernel.
Thanks Aritz

DSL got me a grub boot disk - thanks.

Strangely, amd64 ready 2.6.4 o 2.6.6 kernels booted fine but nothing
appeared when typing 'root' to login.  Booting off the first 32 bit
kernel worked fine.

I haven't yet tried to chroot into my production system to fix grub -
another little project, once I get some more time ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...