Re: Which version of AMD64 install?

> I've looked through the mailing list and HOWTO, found some info re what
> the different versions of AMD64 do, but I'm still a little confused
> about which one (if any) is right for me.

Right now your choices are mainly if you want sarge or sid. In case
you want sarge, you have 2 more options: pure64, the one being
maintained, or gcc3.4, at your own risk (so you will probably choose
pure64).

> My needs are:
>
> Installing onto dual Opteron machine, used as server & workstation
> Would like to run 64bit if possible.
> Will need to run IA32 chroot environment as well.
> Workstation usability more an issue than security.
>
> It seems to me that it doesn't matter which version:  Sarge, SID, GCCxx
> I use.

that's true, all of them fullfill your requests.

> I remember reading that the net install CD for sarge and SID are now the
> same thing?

In the begining there was a port of the sarge netinst for sid-pure64,
right now i don't know if there are 2 installers (one for sid and one
for sarge). I reinstalled my sistem 2 weeks ago using DFS live-CD. I
cdebootstrap all the packages from the network, so with DFS you can
install all debian amd64 flavours with just one command (althoug this
method it's not suitable for everybody as you will have to edit some
configuration files from scratch, so it's better if you know a bit of
how debian works first).

> What is the gcc version compared to the others?  IE I know that gcc
> compiler 3.x and 4.0 are used, but that don't mean much to me.  What gcc
> version does sarge & SID use?

sid-pure64 has gcc3.3 and 3.4 available, kernel-images are compiled
with 3.4, but all other packages are compiled with gcc3.3

sid-gcc3.4 has packages compiled with either gcc3.4 or gcc4

Aritz Beraza [Rei]
--
Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei]
[ WWW ]  http://evangelion.homelinux.net