Re: driver nvidia

daniele ge wrote:

hello,sorry for my orrible english
i am returned to debian after 2 year that i used gentoo
i found debian now very very good, i have installed it on my laptop and
all things is good, but i have a little problem on my desktop that for
me is impossible to solve, it is a week that i google on the internet
but i don't found nothing
in my laptop i386 i have an nvida graphic card and i have installed
nvidia driver and 3d accelleration is good
in my desktop amd64 i have an nvidia graphic card but i don't succeed to
install nvidia graphic driver
this is my apt-source list:

deb http://bach.hpc2n.umu.se/pure64 sarge main contrib non-free
deb-src http://bach.hpc2n.umu.se/pure64 sarge main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian/ sarge non-free

this is my kernel:

daniele@sarge:~$ uname -r
2.6.8-10-amd64-k8

this is my /var/log/nvidia-installer.log

Instead of using nvidia-installer, I recommend using the nvidia
debian packages for amd64.

nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-glx
nvidia-settings

First apt-get nvidia-kernel-source and untar in to /usr/src.
In /usr/src/linux, issue

make-kpkg modules_image kernel_image

(Skip kernel_image if you're not building a kernel)

That builds nvidia-kernel-2.6.10_1.0.6629+1-1+1_amd64.deb

Install it and apt-get nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-glx,
and nvidia-settings.

Pitfalls -- you need the source or header files for your
current kernel. I typically make new nvidia drivers when
I rebuild my kernel, so they always match.

I use 2.6.9-ac6 and don't know for a fact that 2.6.10
works out of the box; others on the list will know.

Dave