Re: Geforce FX 5900XT

Hi all,

Someone sent me an off-list e-mail about beta tesing a multimedia kernel... Unfortunately, I lost that e-mail when i was messing around with my mail server settings (duh!)... Could whoever it was please resend? :)

Thanks
James

James Titcumb wrote:

It appears that it is a mistake on my part... after checking Jen's reply carefully, I found out that somewhere between when I first started trying to install the nvidia drivers and now... my kernel version had changed... previously, I had the correct headers (kernel-headers-2.6.8-10-amd64-k8), and I upgraded kernel to 2.6.10-9-amd64-k8.

Stupid mistake, I know. I have just logged in, and the nvidia drivers work fine... I can finally use my second monitor :)

Thanks very much for both your help
James

David Hartveld wrote:

James Titcumb schreef:

Hi Jens,

You seem to know a bit about the nVidia support. I have followed instructions as you said, and all seemed to go well, but XFree86.0.log says it can't load the module. Please see the logfile attatched.

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

Make sure you have loaded the nvidia kernel module by hand (i.e. "# modprobe nvidia", or put it in /etc/modules), it won't load automatically.

Greetings, David