Re: Geforce FX 5900XT

Sorry, didn't send this to the list last time.

Brian R. Whitecotton wrote:

> Has onyone successfully installed the nvidia provided drivers for the
> GeForce FX 5900XT or similar  chipset?

Yes, I have one and it works fine.

>I have installed all pertinent kernel-sources, kernel-headers, etc. The
> nvidia installer compiles the driver with no problem but then it
> complains about installing the nvidia module.  There are symbols that
> are unrecognized.  Nvidia warns that this is usually due to incorrect
> libs or kernel headers but I have all matching versions installed as
> prerequisite.  So I am at a loss.  I am hoping someone has figured out
> why nvidia's installer fails.

I build my own Linux kernels (with make-kpkg so they end up being debian
packages). Right now I'm running 2.6.11 and the nvidia installer worked
fine after I patched it with the cumulative patch listed here:

There are also debs for the nvidia drivers in non-free, if you want to
go that route. I've never used them but I'd expect them to work fine.

bugfood@bugfood:~$ apt-cache show nvidia-kernel-source
Package: nvidia-kernel-source
Version: 1.0.6629+1-1
Section: non-free/x11
Maintainer: Randall Donald <rdonald@debian.org>
Depends: debhelper (>> 4.0.0), make, sed (>> 3.0), dpatch (>= 2.0.0)
Recommends: nvidia-glx (>= 1.0.6629), kernel-package (>= 8.082), devscripts
Conflicts: nvidia-kernel-src
Replaces: nvidia-kernel-src
Architecture: amd64
[--rest of output cut--]

More info on this page:
http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/index.php

So, try things out, don't hesitate to use google, and if you're still
having problems then send another mail with more details, especially the
output of anything that fails.

-Corey