powernowd / stock kernels

Hi all,

Is it possible to run powernowd with the stock kernel?
 I'm getting the following when I try to start it:

-- snip --

Starting powernowd: Error writing file governor:
Invalid argument
Couldn't get per-cpu data: Illegal seek
PowerNowd encountered and error and could not start.
Please make sure that:
 - You are running a v2.5/v2.6 kernel or later
 - That you have sysfs mounted /sys
 - That you have the core cpufreq and
cpufreq-userspace
   modules loaded into your kernel
 - That you have the cpufreq driver for your cpu
loaded,
   and that it works. (check dmesg for errors)
If all of the above are true, and you still have
problems,
please email the author: clemej@alum.rpi.edu
invoke-rc.d: initscript powernowd, action "start"
failed.

-- snip --

System information:
Linux fortunado 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 #1 Fri Jan 28
04:54:33 CET 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Motherboard is an Nforce3 250

Proc:
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

/sys _is_ mounted, and:

[root@fortunado]*[/etc/init.d]$ lsmod|grep power
powernow_k8            10440  0
freq_table              5064  1 powernow_k8
processor              18236  2 thermal,powernow_k8

Ideas?

Thanks!
Zaq