Re: Install process hangs on MTA restart

On Thursday 03 March 2005 12:04 am, Superuserman wrote:

> Are you trying to finish installation or fix the installer?

Finish the installation.

> Actually, I have used the 19 Feb sid netinst without the
> same problem. The exim has been updated recently and might
> be different.

Any way to know that for certain?

> This could also be due to a misconfigured
> network

Doubt it -- everything up to that point had gone well.  Which is to say, there
were no errors pulling down all of the packages and the machine was
configured with a very, very standard static IP setup.

> or a modem crash.

It's lan behind a firewall.  And it failed in the same place on at least three
different installs.

> I doubt the netboot would work
> without a bootp and tftp server if at all.

Yeah.

> To just get past the problem edit the /etc/init.d/exim4 and
> put "exit 0" near the first line.

At what point during the installation should this be done?

> Maybe using the ps -ax and
> then kill exim from the second console would work.

I tried this, but nothing continued in that terminal.  I had wondered if the
thing /after/ MTA configuration was hanging, but haven't gotten a chance to
dig out what that might be.

> Did you wait long enough? Those things usually timeout.

~5 minutes.

> Somebody else might want the debug info.
>
> Good Luck,

Thanks!

Barry