Re: downgrade to sarge

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 11:10:17AM +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> I have decided to downgrade to sarge.  On of the beutiful things about
> Debian, I just need to modify /etc/apt/sources.list and 'dist upgrade'.
> I was browsing
> http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#installation
> for sites for my sources file.  Here they are all for sid.  Also the doc
> says only unstable is available.  Why is this?  And what are decent
> sites for my sources file, pls?
> Thanks
> gs
> Oh yes, if I downgradde will it automatically use 2.4 kernel, or will I
> need to install this?

2.4 kernel is very unsuitable for amd64 (unless you want to just run it
as i386).  2.6 is the kernel that has amd64 support so that is what to
use.

I am not sure what the state of the compile of sarge packages for amd64
is.  So for it seems most of the work has gone into just making sure
packages from sid are working, given amd64 isn't likely to ship with
sarge anyhow.