sid installation to SATA disk

--- Goswin wrote

> That would be the initrd and not the 2nd stage. Most likely the initrd
> is missing the right module for your sata controler. Check the
> contents or just try adding the right module in /etc/mkinitrd/modules
> before creating the initrd.

I also thought initrd is the problem.  But it has all the right module,
however imperfect may be at this time.  Rather sarge properly identifies
sda, and sdb, but sid somehow identifies empty SCSI MO as sda, and nv_sata
as sdb, and sdc.  If I turn off SCSI MO, sid reboots properly.  I wonder
why there is a discrepancy of SCSI device handling order between sarge and
sid.

--- Elmar Pruesse <elmar@pruesse.net> wrote:

> The ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe appears to have problems matching up the order
> of the SATA Drives as connected physically, ordered in the bios, and
> presented to the driver. Lilo isn't bothered (in newer versions),
> because it identifies the drives via their Volume-ID.
>
> Try booting sdb2 instead. Or, for debugging, enable busybox and check
> whether your drives are still in the right order. (They actually changed
> order on my system. I can't reproduce it anymore, but somewhere along
> the line I had to tell grub to boot from the other sata drive...)
>
> Maybe the problem is solved via a Bios Update from ASUS.
>
> Windows has similiar problems on this board. While it doesn't have the
> problem while booting, it does try to install the boot files (NTDLR,
> etc.) on the wrong drive. So if you plan on installing Windows on one of
> the SATA drives -- disconnect all other drives first.
>
> Elmar

Probably your way is a quick fix of the problem.  I already installed both
32-bit(hda1) and 64-bit(sda1) XP.  My way is not to disconnect all other
drives, but using BIOS setup to disable SATA or PATA interface which I do
not intend to install to.

Thank you Goswin and Elmar.

Toshikazu Aiyama