Re: xorg, transparency and ati drivers

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 12:52 +0100, Filippo Carone wrote:
>  Hi everybody,
>  I'm using the ubuntu Xorg server, with the composite and transparency
> correctly working. I'm also using the opensource radeon driver shipped
> with it. I get good 3D performances (~2000fps in windowed glxgears)
> but transparency (set by transset) is really slow, while I expected it
> to be more smoother.

Try maximising glxgears and you'll see a different picture. A massive
slow down. On my 9600Pro I get about 200-250 windowed glxgears, when I
switch to fullscreen, the framerate drops to about 30.

with the proprietary accelerated drivers I get about 1500 in glxgears
and around 200-250 in maximised.

Also, the terminal transparency is very very slow in opensource drivers.

Try fglrx and see for yourself )

--
Andrei Mikhailovsky
Arhont Ltd - Information Security