Re: Tracking sarge

Alice Stamping <alstamp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello guys.
>
> Hopefully a quick question.
>
> I would like to use some AMD Opteron kit in production with Debian.  I
> don't, therefore, fancy tracking unstable with these boxes. :)
>
> I want to track sarge with these computers.  Is it possible to :
>
>  - install Debian Sarge from the i386 iso

yes

>  - using make-kpkg build a 64-bit kernel on the newly installed box
> for the AMD 64 bit platform.

Not comfortably.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-amd64-<tab>
kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic  kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8       kernel-image-2.6-amd64-xeon

>  - build the packages we normally build from source from sources after
> booting into the 64 bit kernel (e.g. apache/php)

That needs all the build-depends too. A lot of building and all of it
not prepared for in a 32bit userland. It's possible but a lot of work.

>  - keep the rest tracking the 32 bit sarge repositories
>
> ... and enjoy a machine with the kernel and some of the apps running a
> nice 64 bit build, and the rest of the software running 32 bit
> versions?
>
> My understanding is clearly a little ropey, but I want to ensure we're
> not going to waste money on this kit if it's not going to earn us some
> performance increase.
>
> BR
> ALICE

I would suggest installing a 64bit chroot and compiling 64 bit
software there directly. For e.g. apache you probably want to run it
inside a chroot anyway for security reasons.

For user programs adding a dchroot wrapper works fine or, if you realy
want, copy the binary and any needed libs to outside the chroot (look
at the amd64-libs package for locations).

MfG
        Goswin