Re: "rock solid" motherboard

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 04:50:32PM -0500, Per Bojsen wrote:
> *** Regarding Re: "rock solid" motherboard; seb@frankengul.org adds:
> I have an Iwill DK8N motherboard which is also nForc3 250 based.  I'm
> running a 2.6.9 kernel and have no problems with SATA disks on the
> nForce3 SATA interface.  The install image had an 2.6.8 kernel and
> worked fine as well.  I am wondering if your problem is specific to
> the disk you are using?  I have 2 WD2500JD drives.

This problem occurs on certain hardware. The symptoms are :
the chipset is recognized and the disk too, but the probe of the disk
fails with timeout (you have to wait 30 seconds at each drive connected
to the nforce3).

The kernel reports :
NFORCE3-250: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:08.0
NFORCE3-250: chipset revision 162
NFORCE3-250: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
NFORCE3-250: BIOS didn't set cable bits correctly. Enabling workaround.

Judgind by the description, I can hope that a future BIOS will correct
this problem.

The drive attached is a  Maxtor 6B200M0.

	Seb