x86 vs. AMD64 port...

> I recommend making it dual boot with a partition of 32 bit and a
> partition of 64 bit, plus whatever other partitions you'd like to have.
> Then, if you make your 64 bit kernels all have 32 bit emulation then you
> can trivially use the 32 bit side as a chroot under the 64 bit system.

OK, I can see that.  A grub configuration could independently pick the
kernel and the "root=" and basically you pick that way at boot time.

> Those apps don't need wierd kernel extensions so should be able to run
> with a 32 bit userspace and a 64 bit kernel with no problems, as needed.

AFAIK I don't need any weird kernel support.  I'm going to run on a Shuttle
SN95G5 [1] which I think has fairly standard hardware in it.  I was also
planning on using a Radeon 9600 card, which looks like is supported in X in
2d mode only - which is fine for my needs.

> An easier way to look at it is this ...
> (1) at boot time, you decide whether you are going to need _any_ 64 bit
> apps (in userspace) or _any_ 32 bit only drivers (in kernel space).
> (2) the decision from (1) determines which kernel you'll be using.
> (3) For a 32 bit kernel, stop now because you have no more choices.
> (4) Your init/chroot can now be 32/64 or 64/32 depending on workload,
> and your mount- and chroot-config should make either be transparent.

OK, and that can be managed coarsely by grub or via dchroot as you suggest
below.  My proposal of running 32 bit userspace with some 64 bit support
could work by picking a 64 bit kernel and mounting a 32 bit userspace, and
then having the 64 bit userspace mounted in the root tree.  "dchroot" could
be used to have g++ and friends run from the 64 bit userspace but
everything else coming from the 32 bit userspace?

Is this the idea?  And then eventually multiarch will make it possible to
intermingle packages from either port?

Thanks,
	Dale

[1] http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q4/shuttle-sn95g5/index.x?pg=1