Re: Is AMD-64 mature enough to start using? (possibly on K8V-MX moptherboard)

Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2005, 09:05 +0000 schrieb Matthew Robinson:
> I was under the impression apple used 'fat binaries' to make their code work
> with the G3 and their previous line of processors

Ancient Apple machines have an Motorola cpu like 68030. These are not
PPC machines and need "68K" code. However, I haven't seen such a thing
for years, except in a don't-drop-oldtimers-section in my company.
However, we keep them, but we don't use them.

When Apple changed to PPC, the G3 was not the first PPC-cpu. I still use
some pre-G3-PPC-machines under linux for networking tasks.

"Fat Binaries" include splitted 68K code and PPC code.
The do not contain splittet code for PPC<G3 and PPC>=G3.

Apple has used that technology multiple times since then. Later there
was i.e. a Version of Photoshop, that run under OS 9 and OS X, the same
executable. And in the future there will be PPC/Intel combinations.

Bye,
Ratti

--
 -o) fontlinge | Fontmanagement for Linux | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\ http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/