Re: new kernel too big for lilo

On Monday 26 December 2005 11:02, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> Hi,
> I asked a question last week about why my computer seems to use the
> CPU a lot during disc access. (Like using find, cp etc) Responses led
> me to figure out that DMA is not activated. After doing some searching
> on the internet I found out that I probably should compile a kernel
> with dma support (or at least compiled in as a module).
>
> My problem is that the resultant kernel image is too big ... at least
> that is the complain that lilo keeps giving me. From within the source
> directory I do:
>
> % make dep && make clean && make bzImage &
> % make modules
> % make modules_install

How have you created the .config file for your kernel?  I suggest you
boot into a 2.6 kernel that works and extract the config from it as
shown below.

A 2.6 kernel does not need the make dep and make bzImage is the default....

using a non root user:

cd /your new kernel dir
bzcat /proc/config.bz > .config
make old_config
make clean
make

become root

make modules_install

> then copy the vmlinux image to /boot, add the appropriate lines to
> /etc/lilo.conf and then run
>
> % lilo
>
> which tells me:
>
>    Fatal: Kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.14-dma is too big
>
> It is 7258373 b. When I started it was about 8500000 b. I have gone
> through make menuconfig a dozen times now, turning off as many options
> as possible, choosing to build as a module instead of built in where
> possible ... and STILL I am getting an image that lilo complains
> about.

I suspect you have almost everything built into your kernel.  Here my 2.6
kernel is about 1.6m (vs your 7.2m).

> I don't understand this. Am I doing something wrong? or is lilo wrong?
> Can anyone tell me the correct way to compile a kernel if I have been
> doing it wrong.

Luck
Ed Tomlinson