Installation report

Hello there list, I'd like to report on my experience installing Debian on
my new AMD64 machine:

AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-E
ASUS 6600GT
1GB RAM Corsair
2x250GB Western Digital SATA
Plextor PX-750A

First I tried with the GTK+ graphical installer. It didn't detect my USB
mouse. So I used the USB-->PS/2 adapter included, rebooted and the mouse
was recognized.
I could carry on the installation flawlessly until the HD detection: there
my drives were not seen by the d-i, I assume because of a too old kernel.
It was just to give it a try :)

So I tried with the daily build of the plain d-i installer (either
netinstall and businesscard). It recognized my drives, I managed to start
my RAID1 setup but it hung while installing the base system.
I could observe the "lost ticks" problem, probably the system died on that
flaw.

I tried again with the beta1 businesscard and it worked, although it took
more that two hours to complete the installation. I assume there was a
problem in downloading the necessary packages from the internet, because
that part was painfully slow (more than 1 hour).
Anyway, grub was installed correctly and my system was perfectly bootable
from the RAID devices. I upgraded to the 2.6.14 stock kernel, installed
alsa stuff and all my system was perfectly up and running.

nVidia drivers were installed the debian way, no problem there; java
installed via make-jpkg.
Sensors were not detected by sensors-detect, I had to add manually to
/etc/modules the following lines:

i2c-dev
i2c-isa
i2c-core
it87

but they now work perfectly. I assume that Cool'n'Quiet is managed
directly by the MoBo, my CPU never goes over 37°C.

Hope this can help someone, please ask for any further information.
Merry Christmas!

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449