Re: How to set up midi support on a Asus 8N-SLI board

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:12:49PM +0100, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
> I want to set up midi support for my soundcard
> (Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller
> (rev a2)). This is on an Asus A8N-SLI board.
> Somehow all the information is a bit confusing to me. Do I need an soundserver
> like jack or is it possible by just using alsa.
> I look forward to your advice.

What do you mean by 'midi support'?  external midi port connected to
joystick port?  Usually that is mpu401 stuff.  If it does support it,
usually loading the module snd-mpu401 works.

If you want to play midi files back on the system, you need a midi
synth, which most low end sound chips don't have anymore (not that the
OPL on older sound blasters counted for much either).  Cards which I
know can do midi synthesizers in hardware are emu10kx based (sb live,
audigy, and such, although some of the cheap OEM models don't have that
part).

For such low end chips you can use timidity or other software
synthesizers to play back midi files.