Re: Is AMD-64 mature enough to start using? (possibly on K8V-MX moptherboard)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 10:05:02AM -0500, Aaron Stromas wrote:
> On 12/22/05, Dean Hamstead <dean@bong.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > I see a lot of complaints on the list ... repeated with some regularity,
> > > but few new complaints.
> >
> > nvidia is the biggest problem :(
> >

> I confirm can that, though it took some time to get the system up. So... any
> pointers how to configure nvidia?

http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/

Link to nvidia setup howto for debian.

If amd64 still doesn't have the nvidia packages, go grab the source
packages from debian non-free's pool, and just rebuild them and install
the resulting .deb's when appropriate in the howto.  This has been
covered on the mailing list before too.

Should take about 2 minutes (not including download time).

And nvidia is much less of a problem than ATI tends to be.  If your card
is old enough anything will usually work.  The new stuff is where the
pain comes in.