Re: installing amd64 kernel

Hi Sven,

On 12/21/05, Sven Krahn <sven.krahn@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Aaron,

On 12/21/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com > wrote:
Here are a couple of question I have for the list. I initially did Kubuntu server install and ended up with no root (sudo passwd!) and one root

The 'no root' is one of the specifics of Ubuntu intended to make the environment 'safe' for newbies but being a bit confusing for people coming from other distros. Actually, in the default Ubuntu installation there is no root user, and in case you need su privileges you have to enter 'sudo command' with your user's (!) password. (You can also use 'sudo su -' to have a su shell). You may check the Ubuntu forums how to change this, but there will be other drawbacks then. But if you only need this to modify your sources.list and some others to upgrade/reinstall this will certainly work.

I realise that. I mentioned "sudo passwd" because it sets passwd for root and re-enables root login. I just learned it on the debian user list form lordSauron, I think.

Finally, assuming I succeed in setting up the system the way I like, can I simply edit the sources file to return back to the Debian fold?

I assume an apt-get dist-upgrade should do it if you uncomment the Ubuntu paths from the sources.list. However, I recommend that you upgrade the kernel (linux-image-....) in a later step so that your network connectivity remains functionable (if it comes from the kernel configuration), and that you can easily swap kernels via GRUB's menu.lst once you are back to plain Debian.

Good luck!

thanks. i presume you mean "comment out". "uncomment" means taking off the comment mark, i.e., enabling whatever was commented out. sorry for the little lesson, i'm not native english speaker either.

-a

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn