Re: Ethernet problem

On Monday 19 December 2005 10:57, Jens Schwarze wrote:
> cbergmann@acm.org schrieb:
> >I had the same problem, just add sk98lin to /etc/modules and reboot.
> >
> >Clemens
> >
> >On Monday 19 December 2005 00:50, Jens Schwarze wrote:
> >>Hello all,
> >>
> >>I have installed debian amd64 etch an d have a problem to activate the
> >>ethernet card.
> >>
> >>The card is directly on the mainboard, it's a A8V Deluxe from Asus with
> >>gigabit ethernet.
> >>
> >>Anyone who can help me?
>
> And where can I get this? (sorry I'm new with debian)
You already have it, you simply have to tell the system to load it whenever it
boots.  You do this by adding a line of text to the file /etc/modules which
contains the text

sk98lin

To do this you have to be root as this is a protected file and then edit the
file.

The best way to get root privilege is to use sudo, but without a network
installing it might be tricky.  The easiest way to do this is to switch to
a command line console (Alt-Ctrl-F1, use Alt-Ctrl-F7 to get back to your
desktop) and log on as root using the password you set when installing.

Now be VERY careful as root can modify anything and you could destroy
your system.

Pick a command line editor you are familiar with, if you are not familiar
with any then I suggest nano.  Move to the end of the file and add in a
line as above and save it (if you are using name Ctrl-o).  Now quit the
editor (Ctrl-x for nano).  To test whether you have done it right you
will need to reboot.

If you want to test that this is really the right module before you do this
editing then you need to issue the following:-

modprobe sk98lin

Now use the ifconfig command to see if the ethernet interface is now
avavailable:-

ifconfig

If you had issued this before the modprobe then it would only have shown
details for the interface called lo.  There should now be an interface which
will almost certainly be called eth0.  If it is not there then you need to
look at the end of /var/log/syslog to look for error messages.  The easiest
way to do this is using the tail command:-

tail -n 40 /var/log/syslog

and let us know what is there that seems relevant to the driver.

Once you have an interface then what you do depends on whether there
is a DHCP server on the network.  If there is it is quite easy, otherwise it
is a little more complicated.  But get to the stage that the module loaded
correctly and then we can worry about setting up the network address etc.

David