Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

On 12/18/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Seriously, it's fine.  Do an 'expert' install rather than the
> > standard install and root / normal user is setup normally.  Do a
> > 'server-expert' install and you get no GNOME or X.  If you avoid
> > the hand-holding Ubuntu does, it's close enough to Debian not to
> > notice most of the time.
>
> i'm game, but i also hear that some people regard ubuntu as
> undermining debian, creating schism. i haven't been paying much
> attention to the issue. frankly, both exim or postfix, cyrus, firefox
> and eclipse run fine under gnome, and that was good enough for me.

Ubuntu is a desktop distro, not server.  It was only recently that
they began to start their real emergence as a server distro (which,
IMHO, Debian still rules hands-down!  I wouldn't host a non-Debian web
server unless I was paid big bucks, and got a nice fat load of PCs and
laptops to boot!  Even then... no guarantees.)

One must remember that almost every app that's present in Debian is
also in *buntu.  There are only a few things that aren't (like Adept.)
 Speaking of Adept, DON'T TRY IT - STICK WITH
APTITUDE/SYNAPTIC/KPACKAGE!!!  Adept tries to emulate a more
Google-ish approach, but fails miserably at it.  It's really assuming
you know what packages you want and that you know their names.
However, it's so slow that I can use Aptitude faster than Adept.

Anyways, back OT, I don't think *buntu is really trying to undermine
as much as to enhance, most particularly (heck, exclusively) for the
desktop crowd.