Re: How to package SuperCollider (or, whats the deal with multiarch)

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:17:30AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> Yes, thanks for the nice demonstration, so memcpy
> is not really the problem, however, changing the amount of bits
> used for a single slot is going to be...  QUoting the author,
> going to more than 64bit would be a loss of performance, going
> to less than 64bit would be a loss of precision, and using
> a struct with a separate tag field would increase memory
> usage by at least factor two, due to alignment...

So you use the current format when compiling on 32bit systems, and you
use a struct on 64bit machines.  Most 64bit machines have tons of ram
already so who cares if it doubles memory use.

> I can very well see why he does not want to make one of
> these changes just to make his code run on an arch
> it already runs on (through 32bit compatibility).
>
> So I guess the final answer is either we figure out
> a preprocessor based patch which makes the necessary
> adjustments for 64bit archs, and leaves the code basically
> the same for 32bit archs, or we don't package SC for 64-bit archs.

Some defines that are set differently on different archs might work.  I
haven't looked at the code long enough to find where this whole thing is
defined in the source code.  Once I find it I might consider trying
something silly with it.