Re: why is amd64 still separate?

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 10:19:24AM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Sorry to say, but I doubt this. Sarge was released 6 months
> ago, and amd64 is still an officially unsupported platform.
> The "visible change" is missing.

It IS a release goal for etch. There is work happening in the background
which is necessary before it will happen. See Aj's blog in
planet.debian.org for example.

It's deemed necessary to split the archive into popular/less-popular
architectures before any more can be added -- not just amd64. The
current single archive is too big for mirrors. That work is in progress.

Having said that it's very frustrating that the second most popular
architecture is not supported at the expense of others with very few
users eg s390.

Hamish